25 June 2008

Wild Dogs DO Cry Out in the Night

Bonjour! C'est Mike. Yeah, my French is still horrible. But I did carry on a few cool conversations with some Host Country Nationals and I even bought some items from a local boutique in Rosso. Although it was kind of confusing for all involved. But at least I'm trying a local tongue. Katie and I will receive our placement tomorrow for the next 2-3 months of training; and as Katie said, we will be very busy (8 hrs. a day) learning a new language. I'm hoping for Hassaniya (African dialect of Arabic) because it is widely used. So I wanted to blog while I can and just say things are great. The food is incredible, it is hot, but we take lots of breaks. Brendan, curiously enough, wild dogs literally cry out in the night. They kept us awake once for an hour - we sleep outside. Hope everyone is doing well at home and keep the comments coming. I'm gonna let Katie check her email now.

Mike

3 comments:

regina said...

Hey, Mike! Good to hear about your market and linguistic adventures! Hope all goes well as you guys meet your host family and get settled in. It sounds incredible to sleep outside every night. Enjoy yourselves!! Love, Regina

Unknown said...

The food is incredible? Please elaborate. I'm kind of a food nut. I enjoy it in almost all forms. Plus, keep up the musical lyric references. Miss you guys!

karen yunghans said...

Hi Mike and Katie, Well here it is Saturday night and you have had one full day with your host family. I hope and pray every thing is going well there. My computer is doing some tricks on me and I am completely lost so I am waiting for Uncle Al to come and straighten me out which will probably happen tomorrow (29th). Have you heard any more wild dogs and do they only howl at night? I had help from Annie and found your pictures. I really enjoyed the Mauritainan ones I had never seen. I think Katie showed me how to find the pictures but I had forgotten. Any news we get from you is always welcomed. Love Ya Mom