16 June 2008

Mike again. Less than 2 days. Everything's wrapping up. Parties are over, cd is recorded (completed lost 80 cd, coming to a stereo near you in late 2054!), preparations are made. Wait...I forgot to pack. I had to say goodbye to my other sister today. The last month or so has brought all the negative aspects of leaving to my attention. I knew it would be tough, but part of me can't wait to be in Mauritania so I can begin our Peace Corps experience and get my mind occupied on something positive and challenging. I want to see what's on the other side of the curtain, you know? Over a year and a half of waiting is finally coming to a head.
We still have a lot to do, so I'm signing off. Happy birthday Annie, happy father's day dad, David, Monte, Steve, Dennis, Ryan, Stud, AB (there's got to be at least one out there!), and anyone else I forgot.

Later

2 comments:

karen yunghans said...

O.K. Mike and Katie, It is 10:44 P.M. on Sunday night and you just walked in the door. I have enjoyed having you both here with us (Bob and I)for the past two weeks. I pray the next two years will be a time for both of you to cherish for the rest of your lives. Take care of each other and keep that "Love" burning. Love You a bunch, Mom

pete said...

Hey, Mike. Not sure you'll get this before you depart.

I think it is amazing that you and your wife are going on this journey. The video link posted on your blog certainly paints the picture of the surroundings you will find yourself in. I'm reminded of how much I take for granted and how much more I should be helping others. You and Katie have blessed souls! Do you know in which fashion you will be helping? Will you be educating, farming, etc? I know very little of the Peace Corps. I'll try to keep up with your blog! Jenn and I will keep you both in our prayers! Have a safe trip.

Pete