02 July 2008

Host Family

Hey everyone! I just finished checking my email and the inbox was jam-packed so please excuse me for not replying to everyone (or sending really short replies).

Mike and I are doing well. We moved in with our host family on Friday and they were really great. However, some personal issues within the family caused us to have to move in with a different family yesterday. No worries! Everything is still going well for us.

Our families gave us new names to help us become more acculturated and accepted in the family and community. They have named me Hadija (Hah-'deez-yuh) and Mike is Brahim (Bra-'heem). We are super happy that our family has electricity and a fan that we can use in the bedroom at night. The rainy season is starting and it is SUPER humid (up to 70-80% at times) and very hot at night since we have to sleep indoors.

We are going to French classes for about 6 hours a day, and will soon be learning Hassaniya (a form of Arabic) as well. My French is improving by leaps and bounds, but it is still very difficult to comprehend what everyone is saying in my class. We spend a lot of time just sitting around conversing in French and I look up a lot of the words or expressions I don't understand.

Today I'm at the PC Training Center for some health training sessions.

Lori asked what the coolest thing is that I've learned so far, and basically I feel that the coolest learning is just the process of adjusting to life in a third world country. Learning to use a squat toilet, taking a bucket shower, feeling dirty and hot all the time. I guess just learning to appreciate that there are still things to be happy about when you don't have all the material possessions we Americans are used to. I also like learning to eat with my hands...although it's still difficult for me.

Okay, I have to go eat now! We're doing well so don't worry and we will post again when we get a chance. Don't forget to actually visit the blog and check out the picture link in the right margin. We've posted some pictures from our Pre-Service Training.

5 comments:

LW said...

Great photos Katie! Glad everything is going well. SIX hours of French! Zut!

AO said...

Hi Mike and Katie
I like to read your blog because it all sounds so familiar to me! I know your experience will be amazing and I am so excited for all the adventures ahead. I am sad to be home from Africa.

KimB said...

Katie,
This has been so fascinating and a great learning experience for me too. I am so disappointed that I didn't get to see you before you left. I have been thinking about you and miss you being here. You are amazing Katie.
Kim Blassingame

regina said...

Thanks for posting the photos, guys! Katie, the henna on your hands looks beautiful! Mike, were you behind the camera? Take care and many good wishes to you as you start living with your host family.

karen yunghans said...

Mike and Katie, I heard from my friend Karen P. today. She has a Baker Pride Paper. She said there is an artical in it about you. Have not seen it yet but will tomorrow. Can hardly wait. I'll let you know what it says. Hope all is going well. Today is the day you are suppose to find out where your final post is. bet you are about to jump out of your skin waiting to hear. Probably not but that is how I feel. Love Both of you Mom Yunghans