30 November 2008

Procrastination, it followed me here

...So, I should really be planning my English lessons for this week but I am on the computer instead. Everything's good here in Nouadhibou. Thanksgiving was great. We had 2 big meals: one on Thursday afternoon with a couple friends from Mauritania and one on Friday evening with the other local PC vols. Lots of chicken, bread, stuffing, potatos, veggies and Katie's apple pie was incredible. In addition, I got to talk to many family members on Thurs. and Sat. On one such call (with my dad) on sat. evening I even got to overhear the live tv moment and ensuing jubilation of KU's winning play over MU. Fantastic. If you ever want to witness a great sports moment, make sure I am out of town, because that is usually when they happen (2008 KU b-ball champs excluded).

Classes are going well but this is the last week before the traditional Muslim holiday of Tabaski. After the holiday I only have another 2 weeks before the end of the first trimester and the first big test. Considering school didn't really start until November, it feels a little premature. I'm sure the other RIM ed people can empathize.

For those who don't know, Tabaski is the feast of sacrifice. A long time ago, Ibrahim had a son, Allah said you must sacrifice the son, the devil unsuccessfully tempted Ibrahim not to sacrifice his son, Allah stopped Ibrahim and sacrificed a lamb instead. Today, Muslims sacrifice an animal (usually sheep or goats) in rememberance. Hmm...that story sounds familiar. It's really cool to notice the similarities between our two cultures. Unfortunately for me, one of those happens to be unmotivated students who don't want to be in school. OK, back to the lesson...

0 comments: