19 October 2008

Product of the Month (PROM): Millac



That's right! You've guessed it! This is the first of what will hopefully be many insightful glances, snapshots if you will, into the world of commerce in Mauritania. I thought this would be a quantifiable method of explaining some of the similarities and differences between our two little worlds. Also notice my acronym. I'm stealing this word back from the awkward grope-fests that somehow seemed so important to us 10 years ago. Don't fall for it teenagers of today! Save your tux rental money and invest it. Our economy is still strong, right?

The inaugural product: MILLAC. 1 Litre = 500 UM (NDB prices). If you say it fast enough, it almost sounds like its English equivalent, milk. I apologize in advance to the dairy farmers in the states, but I LOVE MILLAC. Pros: it lasts longer (especially unopened, boutique owners don't even refrigerate it), tastes better, and I can't read the nutrition facts (ignorance is bliss). Also, it tastes amazing mixed with coca-cola.* Just like an ice cream float **- Eli knows what I'm talking about. Cons: where's the gallon size box? That's right, it comes in a box.

Other notable information:

-a product of Spain, produced in the Canary Islands I believe, that is imported here

-creepy graphics; sort of a Children of the Corn meets the master race

-and finally, it contains vitamin D3. I always felt kind of weak, depleted in the states. Now I know, it was my vitamin D3 deficiency.
I have to mention this since it reminds me so much of a great Simpsons episode. In the school cafeteria, Bart, after cracking his knuckles, remarks, "Ow! But why should my bones hurt? I drink plenty of [turning to look at his carton of milk] MALK?" [the carton reads: now with vitamin K!] Apparently, the school was skimping on food to save money in their budget. Hilarious!

*Katie thinks this is disgusting, but we all know how crazy she can be

**Annie, I'm going to send you a bunch of Millac so we can begin work on our next product: The RIM Shake! Between that and conebutts (reg. trdmrk.) we'll have the dessert market tied up.

Well, I hope this was interesting. I'll try and get one of these up a month. Comment if you like it so I know how much effort to put into future PROMs. That is all. Mike out.


6 comments:

David Studnicka said...

Sounds like the "organic" milk here in the states. Joey started drinking it while she was pregnant, and I made fun of her because the label "organic" implies that all ordinary milk is somehow man-made, and not "organic".... Anyway, turns out that it tastes a lot better than "non-organic" milk, and lasts a really long time, even after you open it...

I also like how the label has two little white kids on it....

Unknown said...

If you could, please continue to reference episodes of The Simpsons. I've been wondering what i missed most about you. For a while i thought it might be your generally light-hearted manner and approach to life, but no. It was the quoting.

regina said...

Sounds kind of like soy milk.

Can't wait for more of these, Mike. On the really weird products, you should post just a photo first and make us guess. Then follow up w/ your description.

annie_weyhrauch said...

how on earth does Millac cure halitosis, "bad breath". I am pretty sure it would make it worse.

Unknown said...

Those are some beautiful aryan children.

Jacque said...

guys... i absolutely love your blog. you put anything i do to shame. guess i'll just send my family here and say 'this is what i would write if i had the SKILLS'!!!!!
ilhamdulliaha-mashallah